Pork Shoulder is often prepared as a braise that is slowly cooked in liquid in a sealed pan but because this cut has a higher fat content than the leaner loin roasts it is an excellent choice for open roasting in Convection. It still requires at least 2 ½ – 3 hours cooking time in order for the meat to become melt-in-your-mouth, fork tender but using Convection ensures that the meat stays very moist.
Squash can look very intimidating to work with and because of their rounded shapes they can be difficult to cut so caution is advised. Squash are actually quite thin skinned so as long as you wash them well it is okay to leave the skin on. When cutting a whole squash, insert the tip of the knife into the squash then place your hands evenly on the knife and push down to cut it in half, then scoop out the seeds and cut each half into the desired shape.
A pork shoulder roast is easy to prepare and absolutely delicious when paired with a medley of fall vegetables and of course any extra meat thinly sliced also makes fabulous sandwiches. Remember to plan for 10-15 minutes resting time to the overall cooking time and begin cooking the vegetables about 40 minutes before you are ready to serve the meal. These quantities will serve 4-6 people.
Pork Shoulder Roast
- 1 – 3lb boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 – teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ – teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ – teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ – teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 – teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to Convection or Convection Roast 350°
- Combine the seasonings with the vegetable oil to make a paste and rub into the meat. (It is not necessary to remove the netting that holds the meat together to do this)
- Place the meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 2 ½ – 3 hours until the meat is fork tender and reaches an internal temperature of 185-190°
- Let the meat rest for 10-15 minutes, remove the netting and cut into thin slices.
Fall Vegetable Medley
- 1 – acorn squash, seeds removed and cut into 3” segments
- 1 – large sweet potato, peeled cut in half lengthwise and into ½ “ half rounds
- 1 – medium yellow onion cut into ½ “ wide slices
- 4 – graventstein apples, seeds removed cut into quarters
Combine the vegetables and apples in a mixing bowl and toss with just enough vegetable oil to coat, a sprinkle of kosher salt and mixed Italian seasoning. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 35-40 minutes until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized. Pork Shoulder is often prepared as a braise, when it is slowly cooked in a liquid in a sealed pan however, because of the higher fat content than the leaner loin roasts it is very tender and flavorful when it is open roasted on a rack in Convection. However it still requires at least 2 ½ – 3 hours cooking time in order for the meat to become melt-in-your-mouth, fork tender and using Convection ensures that the meat stays very moist.